Some people ARE illegal.
Lobizonas do NOT exist.
Both of these statements are false.
Manuela Azul has been crammed into an existence that feels too small for her. As an undocumented immigrant who's on the run from her father's Argentine crime-family, Manu is confined to a small apartment and a small life in Miami, Florida.
Until Manu's protective bubble is shattered.
Her surrogate grandmother is attacked, lifelong lies are exposed, and her mother is arrested by ICE. Without a home, without answers, and finally without shackles, Manu investigates the only clue she has about her past―a mysterious "Z" emblem―which leads her to a secret world buried within our own. A world connected to her dead father and his criminal past. A world straight out of Argentine folklore, where the seventh consecutive daughter is born a bruja and the seventh consecutive son is a lobizón, a werewolf. A world where her unusual eyes allow her to belong.
🌟 In a timely work of magical realism featuring references to Borges and Garcia Márquez, Garber (the Zodiac series) tackles issues of nationalism, identity, and belonging . . . This layered novel blends languages and cultures to create a narrative that celebrates perseverance.— Publishers Weekly, Starred Review
🌟 Garber’s gorgeous novel combines the wonder of a Hogwarts-style magic school with the Twilight-esque dynamics of a hidden magical species that has strict rules about interacting with the human world. Dialogue is related in Spanish—immediately translated into English via italics—which brings Manu and the other characters to vivid life and makes them, and the lore, absolutely memorable.— Booklist, Starred Review
With vivid characters that take on a life of their own, beautiful details that peel back the curtain on Romina's Argentinian heritage, and cutting prose Romina Garber crafts a timely tale of identity and adventure.— Tomi Adeyemi, New York Times bestselling author of Children of Blood and Bone
I fell in love with this world where wolves, witches and magic thrives, all in a rich Latinx setting! Lobizona will surely place Garber alongside the Harry Potters of the world.— Lilliam Rivera, author of The Education of Margot Sanchez
Lobizona somehow loves its genre while simultaneously tearing it apart with werewolf claws, reveling in earthy magic and righteous anger.— NPR.org
Touching upon undocumented immigrants, rigid gender roles, sexuality, and mixed-race identity, its themes run deep. This genre-bending mashup will win over fans of swoon-y, suspenseful paranormal dramas.— Kirkus Reviews
Steeped in Argentine folklore of lobizonas (werewolves) and brujas (witches), this is such an important story to tell, and it’s also an engrossing read.— BuzzFeed
As a politically exigent #ownvoices novel (inspired by the folklore of Garber's Argentinian birthplace) with a rich exploration of hybrid identities, it's an astute and absorbing piece of magical realism.— Bulletin of the Center for Children's Books
Lobizona by Romina Garber is the kind of book that digs its claws into you and leaves marks so you don’t forget what you just experienced . . . With Lobizona, Romina Garber is poised to become a strong literary voice of this era. I can’t remember the last time I read a world so intricately and beautifully crafted.— The Nerd Daily
- Amazon Best Book of the Month SFF Selection (August 2020)
- Amazon Best Book of the Month YA Selection (August 2020)
- Culturess 12 must-read August YA book releases to close out your summer
- io9/Gizmodo The World May Be on Hold, But August Is Still Bursting With New Sci-Fi and Fantasy Books
- PopSugar 26 Incredible New Books Coming Your Way This August
- Tor.com Aliens, Ghosts, and Vampires: New Young Adult SFF for August & September 2020
- Tor.com Read an Excerpt From Lobizona
- SheReads 13 YA books like Children of Blood and Bone
- NPR.org Welcome Summer With These 6 New YA Novels
- BuzzFeed 38 Books to Read This Summer Rec by Indie Booksellers
- Tor.com 25 Most Anticipated SFF Books for the Rest of 2020
- Tor.com 5 Books by Latinx Authors Featuring Mythical Creatures
- BuzzFeed 17 Summer Must-Reads For Fantasy Lovers
- SIBA Spring 2020 OKRA Pick
- Book Riot Most Anticipated Books of 2020
- SheReads Most Anticipated Books of May 2020